Advice about setting up in business or working for yourself

Working for yourself or running a business in the North West

Many people in the UK work for themselves or run their own business. You are entitled to do this as soon as you have been granted Leave to Remain or if you are a EU citizen, and it can be a good way of working in a more flexible way. People who just work for themselves are often referred to as 'Self Employed' and need to register with the Tax Office to change their tax status.

If you would like to run your own business where you might employ people then the company needs to be set up more formally and registered with Companies House. There are many business support services available in Manchester and the North West who can help you decide if this is the right option for you and also assist with setting up to trade for yourself. They can guide you through the legal processes which you need to go through and also advise you on developing a business plan and growing your business.

One local company which does this is Blue Orchid, who have many experienced business advisors who are used to dealing with people from your community, and they can visit you near your home to help you get started. They are funded by the government to provide this advice for free to refugees and migrant workers across Manchester. For more information about how to get help with starting up your business or becoming self employed, please contact Blue Orchid on 0161 4854949 or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

For general business advice and research have a look at the Business Link website

Learn Direct Business provides information about Train to Gain, Sector Skills Councils and buying on-line courses

Latest News Contyact Us